gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] call-arguments-limit

From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] call-arguments-limit
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 18:00:28 -0800

    Camm> Its a 32bit wide call descriptor which has 6 bits each for
    Camm> the maximum and minimum number of arguments, in addition to
    Camm> type info for the first 6 arguments, return value info, etc.
    >>
    >> Just out of curiosity. Why do you need type info for the
    >> arguments?  Don't you pass around boxed objects and also return
    >> boxed objects?
    >>

    Camm> Not always!  GCL has been able to pass unboxed arguments for
    Camm> years as a performance feature.  Makes things quite a bit
    Camm> more complicated as you can imagine.

That is a nice feature.

    Camm> BTW, you saw the note about ensure-directories-exist?

No, I must have missed that. But if it's implemented, that's
fantastic!

There were a few other items on my wishlist but I can't remember them
now. They would be useful for maxima (and other CL code, of course).

BTW, I can't build on sparc. Do you care about that? It's less of a
concern for me since I can now build on linux and OSX easily now.

Ray