gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Compiling GCL

From: Faré
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Compiling GCL
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 19:50:18 -0500

> (declaim (ftype function foo)) is at best a no-op.

On several implementations, it seems to be a nice way to avoid an
undefined function warning when making a forward reference to a function,
which is why I'm using it here.

> Clisp, perhaps the most compliant free option out there,
> seems to allow anything after ftype.

These days, I would call CLISP an outlier, that tends have the most
different flavor from other implementations regarding either
interpretation of the standard or extended functionality.

>> OK, after compiling an ansi gcl the way you suggested,
>> trying to load asdf as a lisp file works — that's good.
>> But compiling it fails.
>
> Thank you for this report!  This should be fixed now.  I've cloned your
> source and loaded and compiled successfully.

Thanks a lot! Things work much better now.

I tweaked asdf so as to remove some unused variable warnings in
functions with #-gcl code. Hopefully, this will allow the asdf test
suite to run. I'm leaving it to run tonight (my it's slow), and we'll
see results in the morning.

Here in America we have the MELTING POT theorem,
"The scum rises to the top and those on the bottom get burned."