gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Compiling GCL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Compiling GCL
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:39:56 -0400

Greetings, and thanks so much for trying this out!

master has the older 2.7.0 debian code, updated for the recent 2.6
releases through 2.6.10pre, and with further development.  It is
'bleeding edge', but I try to keep it in basic building shape.  I hardly
ever run 'make install' in my tests, just make and test the saved image
in the build directory.

The primary item keeping master from release is the slow compile times.
This branch makes heavy use of lisp source inlining.  A string-hashing
accelerator will be pushed shortly to the branch inline-hashing off of
master.

I've pushed the following to master for you:

1) your reset-sys-paths fix -- thanks!
2) a fix to the defgeneric in (eval-when (compile) ...)
3) a fix to the spurious warnings regarding predicate variables in
lambda lists.

I would like to put 2.6.10 out soon and find time to work on master.
There is a segfault/fread restart problem on ia64, and a few windows
issues in the way.  I don't think I have time for maintaining two
separate branches in Debian package form as in the past.  I'm thinking
it more efficient to experiment in git and evolve one stable release
series more slowly.

Would love to help you get asdf working.  But please be aware that stuff
can and will break as master moves along.

Take care,