gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] running program compiled by GCL via Wine

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] running program compiled by GCL via Wine
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 15:38:49 -0700

Camm, thanks for the info about Wine & Maxima.

I set up the binfmt stuff to recognize .exe files and it
seems to work as intended (.exe is indeed executed
via Wine) but I get the same error about msys.

I don't understand the logic of detect_wine -- I don't
see how it could succeed. Maybe you can help me
understand it.

I tried to execute just GCL itself  by installing GCL 2.6.9
ANSI from the download page for the GCL project.
The installer runs OK (some warnings) but saved_ansi_gcl.exe
fails with the same error which originates in detect_wine.
Here's how it reads when I try to execute saved_ansi_gcl.exe:

Can't recognize 'c:/_cvs/gcl/lib/gcl-2.6.9/unixport/msys /tmp/ out8
tmp8 log8' as an internal or external command, or batch script.

I see that the installer installed msys.exe in the folder
GCL-2.6.9-ANSI/unixport, but saved_ansi_gcl.exe tries
to execute c:/_cvs/gcl/lib/gcl-2.6.9/unixport/msys instead.

Looks like the immediate problem is that *SYSTEM-DIRECTORY*
is not assigned a local path name but gets a hardcoded value
(something set at build time, I guess) instead.
Reading o/main.c, I see that GCL will accept a command
line argument for *SYSTEM-DIRECTORY* if initflag == 0,
which is not the case for saved images but is for raw images,
according to a comment in main.c.

So ... I can get a little farther by executing raw_ansi_gcl.exe.

wine ./drive_c/ProgramFiles/GCL-2.6.9-ANSI/unixport/raw_ansi_gcl.exe
`pwd`/drive_c/ProgramFiles/GCL-2.6.9-ANSI/unixport/
GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  April 1994  131071 pages
Building symbol table for
Z:/home/robert/.wine/drive_c/ProgramFiles/GCL-2.6.9-ANSI/unixport/raw_ansi_gcl.exe
..
/home/robert/.wine/drive_c/ProgramFiles/GCL-2.6.9-ANSI/unixport/../lsp/gcl_export.lsp

Then it just sits there until I hit ctrl-C.

strace shows that it seems to be repeatedly reading from
z:/tmp/out8 which has the content

ar x
/home/robert/.wine/drive_c/ProgramFiles/GCL-2.6.9-ANSI/unixport/libansi_gcl.a
gcl_defmacro.o

I guess this is related to scheme implemented by msys --
not sure how this is supposed to play out.

Thanks for any light you can shed on this.

best

Robert Dodier