gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Mac versions

From: Matt Kaufmann
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Mac versions
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2013 17:46:59 -0500

Hi, Camm --

Right, my OS (10.6) is Snow Leopard (as per
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_Snow_Leopard -- I wish there
were just numbers for this and not names, which I have trouble
remembering!), which is earlier than 10.8.

Yes, there is a build shortcut, but sadly, not of the really fast sort
you might like, because ACL2 processes all of its source code (even
doing some proofs) for every build.

I do the build like this:

  make LISP=my-fast-gcl

where my-fast-gcl is a script with this command:

  /p/bin/gcl-2.6.8pre-big -eval '(defparameter user::*fast-acl2-gcl-build* t)'
$*

In other words, setting user::*fast-acl2-gcl-build* to t will speed up
the build quite a lot.  There could be a slight hit on performance for
the resulting executable (perhaps 1%, perhaps even less).

I guess an orthogonal way to speed things up is to avoid recompiling.
The "very-fast" target in GNUmakefile is intended to help with this.
I haven't tried it in quite some time, but it might work; if not, let
me know and if it's not too painful I'll take a shot at fixing it.

-- Matt
   From: Camm Maguire <address@hidden>
   Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 16:06:00 -0400

   Greetings!

   >  Hi, Camm --
   >
   >      System Software Overview:
   >
   >        System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
   >        Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0

   Thanks so much!  I had a user report an error on mac 'mountain lion'
   which is '10.8'.  I'm guessing yours is somewhat earlier.

   BTW, one other item -- in debugging, I've often found it convenient to
   issue a few quick commands to get a fresh system image off of a new gcl
   image being tested.  Axiom for example has at several stages '(load
   "...make-foo.lisp")(gbc t) (spad-save "bar")' that will link in a new
   gcl even on a slow machine in a few seconds.  With acl2, the equivalent
   seems to require at least ~30min of compilation to get a new
   saved_acl2.gcl.  Is there a shortcut?  Preferably one which does not
   compile, only loads previously compiled .o files?

   Take care,
   --
   Camm Maguire                                     address@hidden