gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima] Stable Maxima version on Gentoo

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima] Stable Maxima version on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 16:57:23 -0400

Greetings!

"Stewart W. Wilson" <address@hidden> writes:

> I want to use GCL instead of paying for Allegro.
> But GCL often prints numbers with too many places.
> Example
>
>>(+ 1.234 2.567)
>
> 3.8010000000000002

Alas, there is no *print-?* flag in the lisp standard to my knowledge.
In fact, there are requirements that an implementation must be able to
re-read exactly the same float as print out under normal circumstances,
hence the gcl behavior.  That said, it would be trivial to implement
some non-standard gcl-specific setting to truncate floats at a given
number of digits.  I'm posting this to the devel list to see if this
might be useful to others too.

Take care,