gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima] Out of range floating point number determinatio

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] [Maxima] Out of range floating point number determination
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:49:26 -0400

Greetings!

Raymond Toy <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     The GCL strategy I'm working on will be
>
>     glibc -> feenablexcept
>     x86/amd64   -> assembly above  (covers mingw, mac intel and generic bsd)
>     ppc         -> assembly to be written (old mac)
>     sparc       -> assembly to be written (solaris)
>
>     Any important targets left out?
>
> Looks good to me.
>
> I really appreciate that you're working on this!

No problem -- hope it is useful.

Snag -- on ppc, the exception bits in the control word are user
writable, but to get a SIGFPE interrupt, 'privileged' bits in the 'MSR'
need also be set.  On GNU/Linux, this is done via a prctl syscall.
Somehow I doubt this is the same on the older mac.  In any case, I no
longer have access to a ppc mac, so I'm stuck.

Suggestions?