gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] the allocate function

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] the allocate function
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 17:12:11 -0500

Greetings!

address@hidden writes:

> I was using maxima and got an error like this (then I referred to gcl
> documentation):
>
> [
>
> Maxima encountered a Lisp error:
>
> Error in PROGN [or a callee]: The storage for CONS is exhausted.
> Currently, 43968 pages are allocated.
> Use ALLOCATE to expand the space.
>
> ]//end of error
>
> The maxima texinfo manual says to refer to the gcl documentation regarding
> ALLOCATE or GBC.  However, when I look up ALLOCATE in the gcl texinfo
> manual, it doesn't really give the usage details (for allowable "types"),

The allowable types are the symbols reported in the (room) report.
Thanks for the recommendation to clarify the docs -- I'll try to get to
this.

> and furthermore when I type (ALLOCATE CONS 50000) in gcl, I get an error

Try (allocate 'cons 50000), but this might be too much.  You have a
small buffer of expansion at this point.

> saying "the variable CONS is unbound".  I'm using gcl 2.6.7-62, and
> gcl-doc (same version) in Debian stable, and the maxima version I'm using
> is 5.21.1-2squeeze (in Debian stable).

Another thing you can try, apart from recompiling with more space, is to
escape to lisp:

to_lisp();

then check the value of si::*optimize-maximum-pages*,

MAXIMA> si::*optimize-maximum-pages*

if T, then you can start a fresh maxima session, to_lisp();, then

MAXIMA> (setq si::*optimize-maximum-pages* nil)
MAXIMA> (to-maxima)

an retry your calculation.  This will be slower, but will minimize
memory usage.

Optionally,

MAXIMA>(setq si::*notify-gbc* t)

to monitor what is going on.