gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Cross compile

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Cross compile
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2010 09:58:11 -0500

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

| Greetings!
|
| Gaby is basically right -- if you have a standard C compiler, or
| C-mode in a C++ compiler, all should work just fine.  If your compiler
| demands language features beyond the traditional C of several years
| ago, then no.  My guess is that if 'cc -v' works on your machine, odds
| are in your favor.  Why don't you just try ./configure in the gcl
| source tree and report your output?

I think part of his problem is that he is using a cross build platform that
provides only a C++ compiler (from CodeSourcery).

I believe it would be a good idea for GCL to move away from K&R-style
prototypes and use more modern C style function declarations.  The
benefit is that it will reduce the amount of warnings on gets from
compiling GCL with GCC, and also allow people use GCC/g++ to compile and
use GCL (I can think of a couple of cases where that would be useful.)
That should not impose any efficiency problem on GCL.
On the other hand, I do not know whether that is doable in GCL-2.6.8pre
timeframe.  But it definitely is something to consider for GCL-2.7.0.
The conversion should be mostly mechanical for an experienced C
programmer.  One just needs to be careful about the implicit promotion
in the K&R style that are source of subtle bugs when doing the
conversion.

-- Gaby