gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Logs of failed build (ANSI) on WinXP -- configure proces

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Logs of failed build (ANSI) on WinXP -- configure process
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2010 18:21:00 -0500

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

| Greetings!
|
| Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
|
| > Donald Winiecki <address@hidden> writes:
| >
| > [...]
| >
| > | checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
| > | checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
| > | host=i686-pc-mingw32
| > | The host is canonicalised to i386-pc-mingw32
| >
| > Hi Camm,
| >
| > I have been wondering why GCL deliberately recategorizes a
| > i686-pc-mingw32 host as a i386-pc-mingw32 host?  Later on, it uses that
| > to configure GMP, which might lead to suboptimal code selection on a
| > host with greater capabilities..
| >

| This was put in by Mike Thomas a long time ago, and arguably should be
| removed.  He ran into a situation where he tried to move the binary
| from one machine to another and got an Illegal instruction fault.  gmp
| is built in (i.e. not a shared library) on these systems.  He put in a
| configure switch --enable/--disable-common-binary governing this.

Indeed, I think we can/should remove that now.

| Even when this is disabled, host=mingw32 defaults to i386.  One can do
| --host=i686-pc-mingw32 to get a higher capability build if desired.
| This is of course cross compiling so no cpu detection is pertinent.
| On a separate front, am a little puzzled why --build fails in place of
| --host.

That is puzzling, because `--host' is supposed to default to `--build'.
I think it would be welcome to remove the `recanonalization' to i386.

| I think there should be a better way to handle this, and it needs
| extending to any system building the local gmp.  Suggestions?

You mean like telling GMP configure to use a specific target triplet?
--enable-gmp-target=xxx?

| BTW, where is open-axiom re: compiling under wine?

I am looking into that right now and I hope to report back to you soon.
[ first week of semester here, so things a bit in `panic/emergency' mode ]

| I did ask about wine running win64 binaries, and it is very
| experimental.  I'd need root on a amd64 box anyway to support it,
| which alas I do not have.  If you can suggest a way I might try to
| extend gcl support here before release, I'd love to hear it.

I did try to build GCL under Windows 64-bit but configure miserably
fails doing anything all.  I don't understand why.  I'm able to
configure other software (including ECL) using standard Autoconf, but
GCL's configure systematically crashes.  I'll post a log in a separate
message.

-- Gaby