gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Make still fails on WinXP for ANSI

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Make still fails on WinXP for ANSI
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 14:23:28 -0500

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

| Greetings!
|
| Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:
|
| > Donald Winiecki <address@hidden> writes:
| >
| > | Hi Camm and everyone,
| > |
| > | Apologies for the appearance of non-activity on my part.  My WinXP
machine has
| > | been struggling for awhile and has given up the ghost -- so to say.  I
knew
| > | this was going to happen eventually but didn't expect it presently.  (It's
| > | struggles may have been behind my inability to build a GCL-ansi variant on
| > | WinXP.)
| > |
| > | Since the only reason to try and get an WinXP machine up and running
would be
| > | to help out with WinXP tests of GCL -- and I don't know who might be using
| > | WinXP still -- I'm not sure it's worth an entire machine to do this.
| >
| > Hi Don,
| >
| > I do believe it makes sense to have a GCL build test.  GCL is still one
| > of the very few Lisp systems that used to build (e.g. in gcl-2.6.8pre
| > some years) native Lisp systems.  For the AXIOM systems (especially
| > OpenAxiom), it is the standard Lisp system.
| >
| > I do have access to a Windows XP (32-bit) box, and a Windows 7 (64-bit) box.
| > I can conduct the tests if you have developed some methods.
| >
| > Camm, the Windows boxes I have access to are `mobile' laptops so I do
| > not know how to manage access to them (plus I know Windows just about to
| > be dangerous).
| >

| OK.  Is there yet a reason to believe that open axiom might/should
| build under wine?  Should this be pursued?

Hi Camm,

As long as it is possible to run GCL under wine (and EVAL works in that
configuration), OpenAxiom should build fine under wine, and if it does
not (as you reported) it must just be a matter of twicking
Makefile/Autoconf expansion variables.
I put that on the high priority list.

Many thanks,

-- Gaby