gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Information about the gcl development status

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Information about the gcl development status
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:34:17 -0400

Greetings!

Stefano Ferri <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear list,
>
> I'v just subscribed to the gcl-devel mailing list. I'm a Maxima user,
> and I've noticed that Maxima built with gcl is more or less 3 times
> faster than if compiled with CLISP (that produces executables compiled
> to bytecodes). But the version I've tryed is that one for Windows, and
> I need to make it work on Linux.
>
> Well, here is my problem: I've downloaded version 2.6.7 of Gcl, but it
> gives a lot of compilation errors. This release is very old, so I've
> noticed that Maxima, on Windows, is compiled with gcl 2.6.8. Is this
> an unofficial/nightly release? Where can I found it?

cvs -z9 -q -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/gcl \
co -d gcl-2.6.8pre -rVersion_2_6_8pre gcl

This is periodically uploaded as a Debian package 2.6.7-xx for testing
purposes.  So if you are running Debian or Ubuntu, apt-get install gcl
from the latest unstable (or testing) distributions in a dchroot.

> I would also like to know something about the status Gcl development:
> I never considered this Lisp before, but it could be really useful to
> me, since it produces fast executables for Lisp-based programs. Since
> the last release is about 5 years old, I was wondering if new official
> releases are planned :-)

I'm trying to get a 2.6.8 gcl release out at the moment.  Now that the
mac port is complete, there are really only a few items left which I
expect are trivial:

1) chase down Don's WinXP only bug, and determine why it is not
reproducible using wine.
2) fix and verify build environment propagation in gcl-tk on mac
3) fix sparc64 relocs, which either means I need access to zee in the
Debian network, or my current strategy of pinging the build logs
proves successful
4) fix mips64 build if Frederick is still interested.

In addition, it would be very nice if the maxima, acl2, and axiom
builds could be verified on windows before release.  I have no access
to such machines, and have tested locally using wine, successfully
thus far.  Alas, I am told by the wine people that win64 emulation is
not reliable and experimental, so support here will depend on real
access too.  I expect win64 support itself to be trivial, but remote
access to be formidable.

Status on these items:

1) posted debugging instructions to Don and am awaiting his reply.
Alternatively, remote ssh access to a winxp machine would do.
2) I need to commit a fix here and have Gaby test it.
3) awaiting zee to build my latest debugging package upload.
4) Several emails to Frederick unanswered (also left my cell phone,
but no call received.)

We could drop 3 and 4 if needed, but they are the easiest.  I can't
see us releasing if 1) and the applications verification cannot be at
least accomplished on some genuine win32 machines.

Take care,