gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Logs of failed build (ANSI) on WinXP -- configure proces

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Logs of failed build (ANSI) on WinXP -- configure process
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:00:02 -0400

Greetings!

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

> Donald Winiecki <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> | checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
> | checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
> | host=i686-pc-mingw32
> | The host is canonicalised to i386-pc-mingw32
>
> Hi Camm,
>
> I have been wondering why GCL deliberately recategorizes a
> i686-pc-mingw32 host as a i386-pc-mingw32 host?  Later on, it uses that
> to configure GMP, which might lead to suboptimal code selection on a
> host with greater capabilities..

This was put in by Mike Thomas a long time ago, and arguably should be
removed.  He ran into a situation where he tried to move the binary
from one machine to another and got an Illegal instruction fault.  gmp
is built in (i.e. not a shared library) on these systems.  He put in a
configure switch --enable/--disable-common-binary governing this.

Even when this is disabled, host=mingw32 defaults to i386.  One can do
--host=i686-pc-mingw32 to get a higher capability build if desired.
This is of course cross compiling so no cpu detection is pertinent.
On a separate front, am a little puzzled why --build fails in place of
--host.

I think there should be a better way to handle this, and it needs
extending to any system building the local gmp.  Suggestions?

BTW, where is open-axiom re: compiling under wine?

I did ask about wine running win64 binaries, and it is very
experimental.  I'd need root on a amd64 box anyway to support it,
which alas I do not have.  If you can suggest a way I might try to
extend gcl support here before release, I'd love to hear it.

Take care,