gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Error messages to stderr instead of stdout in interactive mo

From: Paulo César Pereira de Andrade
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Error messages to stderr instead of stdout in interactive mode?
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 20:12:12 -0300 (BRT)

  Hi,

  Is it possible to somehow force error messages to be printed
to stderr?

  My question is because it is the only problem I found when
using maxima-runtime-gcl in Mandriva's sagemath package.

  Sagemath uses a python interface, that actually allocates
a pty, and that apparently causes gcl to print messages to
*terminal-io*, but it is actually running in a pipe.

  Since there is an initialization lisp file, I managed to
correct it for clisp with:
#+clisp
(setf
  *error-output* (open "/dev/stderr" :direction :output)
  *standard-input* (open "/dev/stdin" :direction :input)
  *standard-output* (open "/dev/stdout" :direction :output))

  But that is not enough for gcl.
  I made some experiments with (si:readline-off), (si:close-fd ...),
(make-synonymous-stream), si:*IGNORE-EOF-ON-TERMINAL-IO*, etc. But,
cannot change *terminal-io* ...

  The reason of this, is because the python interface expects that
error messages be printed to stderr.

Thanks,
Paulo