gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: interrupts in 64-bit GCL

From: Gabriel Dos Reis
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: interrupts in 64-bit GCL
Date: 22 Feb 2009 22:36:35 -0600

Camm Maguire <address@hidden> writes:

| Greetings!
|
| Yes, safety, which stands for 'safety level 3', essentially passes all
| function calls through the interpreter, disables inlining, etc.  2.7.0
| has made this less severe, while reserving the old mode for safety
| level 4.  In any case, one gets code with most checks with safety
| level 2 (declaim (optimize (safety 2))).  The precise definitions were
| discussed in an earlier post if interested.  We can revisit this if
| desired.
|
| I think one could do an open axiom test of the -g effects with
|
| (setq compiler:*cc* (concatenate 'string compiler::*cc* " -g "))
|
| If you get timing results I'd be interested.

Hi Camm,

  Including "-g" in the GCL compiler's command line wasn't as straight
as I thought (somehow the use of LINK seems to forget that setting)

I believe I've managed to convince GCL.  The numbers are in:

    * pristine OpenAxiom (trunk)
       make  1624.70s user 102.77s system 99% cpu 28:57.07 total

    * modified OpenAxiom
       make  1672.23s user 107.45s system 100% cpu 29:35.42 total

this is with GCL-2.6.8pre on a dual-core with 4GB RAM, and 4GB cache
size each at 2.40Gz, running opensuse-10.3.

-- Gaby