gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] How to submit GCL patches

From: Jerry James
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] How to submit GCL patches
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:14:54 -0700

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
Greetings!

First, let me thank you again so much for your attention and
contribution to GCL!  I've downloaded your patches and are looking
them over.

Regarding the bfd patch, I cannot find a bfd version (on any debian
release version at least) which requires this output_bfd setting.  Can
you fill me in on the problem you encountered?

With a sufficiently new BFD library (more on that in a moment), failing to set the output_bfd field triggers a crash due to a null pointer dereference when attempting to read symbols.  I took a look at upstream CVS.  This page:

  http://sourceware.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/src/include/bfdlink.h?cvsroot=src

indicates that the output_bfd field was added in version 1.71 of bfdlink.h, checked in on Feb 15, 2008.  Version 2.19 of binutils has subsequently been released.  I am on a Fedora 10 machine, where binutils reports its version as 2.18.50.0.9.  I presume that is some kind of development snapshot.  In any case, /usr/include/bfdlink.h on my machine shows the output_bfd field, and failing to set it results in the aforementioned crash.

Perhaps you could register at savannah and send me your username --
then we can discuss some commit policy?  If your interested, then
welcome aboard!

I am user jjames on savannah.  I assume you will want to review anything I produce until you gain some confidence that I'm not going to recklessly destroy anything. :-)

Regards,
--
Jerry James
http://loganjerry.googlepages.com/