gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Build trouble

From: Jerry James
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Build trouble
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:50:17 -0700

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:57 AM, Nicolas FRANCOIS <address@hidden> wrote:
If you mean compile Gcl (2.6.7) with this configure line :

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-ansi --enable-locbfd \
 --disable-dynsysbfd --disable-statsysbfd --disable-dlopen

it works. Now I would have enjoyed having to pass only

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-ansi --enable-locbfd

but the (quite enigmatic) eror message was :

Exactly one loader option must be chosen: dlopen=no statsysbfd=yes
dynsysbfd=no locbfd=yes custreloc=no

This could be modified, in my own humble opinion.

I agree.  Choosing a non-default option ought to switch off the default.  Having to choose a non-default AND turn off the default seems wrong.  I think you can get away with just this:

./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-ansi --enable-locbfd --disable-statsysbfd

I don't remember Gcl being so hard to compile. But I think someone
pointed something about it : Gdb modifies some installed libraries, so if
you install Gdb BEFORE Gcl, you may encounter troubles. Can this be
confirmed ?

GDB comes with a libbfd and a libiberty, both of which are used by GCL.  So, yes, if you install GDB then you'll get its versions of those libraries in /usr/lib or /usr/lib64.  However, the --enable-locbfd option avoids that problem by building the libbfd and libiberty that ship with GCL.  You won't use the system libraries in that case, so installation of GDB should not matter.

> If configuring with GCL's bfd library doesn't fix your problem, can you
> provide a backtrace from the segfault?

Djezus man, speak good english to me ! :-) What the hell is "backtrace
from the segfault" ??? A new hard rock tube ? ;-) To be more serious, I
don't know what to backtrace : do I need to run make through Gdb ?

Sorry, I'll try to avoid speaking Swahili. :-)  It sounds like you solved your problem already, so no backtrace (or "stack trace") is needed.  This section in the GDB manual explains what they are:

http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_8.html

Regards,
--
Jerry James