gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: address@hidden: Re: Installing axiom on suse linux 10.2]

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: address@hidden: Re: Installing axiom on suse linux 10.2]
Date: 04 Oct 2007 08:52:46 -0400

Greetings!

Turning off si::*default-system-p* as Waldek said works, but does so
by copying the header contents into each .c file to be compiled.  One
can also add :system-p nil to the compile-file command.  The real
issue is that apparently the install mechanism has not reset the
system library paths to their installed location.

In particular, when you move the compiled source tree (keeping its
structure intact), the si::*system-directory* and si::*lib-directory*
must be set to their final locations.  There is a routine
si::reset-sys-paths to help with this:

(defun reset-sys-paths (s)
  (declare (string s))
  (setq si::*lib-directory* s)
  (setq si::*system-directory* (si::string-concatenate s "unixport/"))
  (let (nl)
    (dolist (l '("cmpnew/" "gcl-tk/" "lsp/" "xgcl-2/"))
      (push (si::string-concatenate s l) nl))
    (setq si::*load-path* nl))
  nil)

i.e.

>(si::reset-sys-paths "/new/location/gcl-install/")
>(si::save-system "foo")
mv foo /new/location/gcl-install/unixport/

GCL's make install is supposed to do this, but if the axiom build is
moving gcl images around by hand, this needs to be invoked at some
point.

Bob Boyer once convinced me that autoloading and other dependence on
runtime files to be found in particular locations was a really bad
idea.  One great thing about GCL, IMHO, is that one can use it as a
completely self-contained stand-alone binary which can be moved around
at will (provided at least, of cource, that one sets
si::*default-system-p* to nil).

Take care,