gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: in-lining and cvs

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: in-lining and cvs
Date: 08 May 2007 10:00:40 -0400

Greetings!

Robert Boyer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi, Camm.
>
> Sad to say I haven't been building or executing GCL for
> some months, and so cannot give you any feedback at
> all.

No problem, I've taken a bit of a hiatus as well.  Does your schedule
and/or interest in the next few months permit a new (and hopefully
final) round of testing for 2.7?  At a somewhat casual pace, that is?

Do you still use 2.7 in daily work?  If so, is there anything recently
added that has prevented you from using the latest (i.e. apart from
compiling fatigue :-))?  Is 2.7 on balance preferrable to 2.6?  The
chief drawback in this regard is the automatic recompile overhead at
loadtime which takes some getting used to at the very least, and
possibly should be rethought, though there is no way I can see
guaranteeing correctness with unboxed call signatures otherwise.

> I hope things are going great with you.
>
> Here is a silly question: Has anyone ported GCL to the
> Playstation 3?  I hear it now runs Linux, with support
> from Sony.  Its processors are called 'Cell', and are
> close to PowerPC I have heard.  As usual, don't trust
> anything I say.

Not that I know of.  Of course we do support Debian/ppc.  There was
some talk of a Debian port to the 'super h' processor a while back,
which I also understand is of Japanese origin.  In general, until a
machine becomes available via remote ssh and has gcc, we cannot
begin.  When that happens most ports are quite easy.

Which reminds me that I have to get to the bottom of mac intel.

If there is anyone at your site who uses the mingw windows port and
can spare a few moments remote debugging via email, please let me
know.  This port is currently the albatross holding up 2.6.8.

Take care,