gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: error in ./configure when building gcl 2.6.7 on Ubuntu

From: Eric W. Smith
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: error in ./configure when building gcl 2.6.7 on Ubuntu
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 04:59:07 -0800 (PST)

Hi Camm,
Thanks for the reply.  I tried what you suggested but am still stuck.  Here's
what I did. (You can see the full transcript of it here:
http://www.stanford.edu/~ewsmith/script2
.)

(I'm using bash to match the "export" syntax that you used.)
The CVS command at first reported:
  cvs [checkout aborted]: must specify at least one module or directory
so I guessed and added "gcl" as the module name at the end of the command (hope
that was right!).  That seemed to work, except the checkout would hang at
gcl-2.6.8pre/xgcl-2/makefile, so I had to abort it and restart (hope that's
okay; I tried a few times and never got it to complete without having to be
restarted).

Next I did "./configure" and that completed successfully (yay!).  But the
"make" failed with:
  fat_string.c:17:17: error: bfd.h: No such file or directory
. See the script for the full output.

Then I did a "make clean" and tried
./configure --disable-statsysbfd --enable-locbfd
Again the configure succeeded, but the make failed with this (see script for
the full output):
error while loading shared libraries: libgmp.so.3: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory

I think this last one is an error I haven't seen before.  Any suggestions as to
how to get gcl built from source on this machine?  Maybe there's some magic
configure command?

Thanks again!
-Eric

=== message truncated ===