gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: libspad.a, cfuns-c.o sockio-c.c and friends

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: libspad.a, cfuns-c.o sockio-c.c and friends
Date: 04 Dec 2006 14:20:56 -0500

Greetings!  I think you are looking for the autoload functionality
here.  Checkout lsp/gcl_auto_new.lsp if interested.

Take care,

Gabriel Dos Reis <address@hidden> writes:

| root <address@hidden> writes:
|
| | > Aha!  So, in fact we can just remove libspad.a from that list since
| | > nothing in GCL references symbols from libspad.a.  Is that correct?
| |
| | correct? i don't know. the C connections and dependencies can be quite
| | subtle (e.g. PLF usage). i can't say without checking but at some time
| | we, the original axiom developers, or i, when recovering axiom, thought
| | that it was needed. i could be wrong.
|
| We cannot remove libspad.a, because Axiom still needs the definition
| of bsdSignal -- which is in libspad.a.
|
| I'm trying the other way that prompted my question earlier,
| i.e. remove cfuns-c.o and sockio-c.o and leave only libspad.a.

Which obviously does not work as Tim explained. src/interp/cfuns.lisp
references 'findString' (defined in src/lib/cfuns-c.c) but nothing
in the original GCL image needs it.
It is odd that we cannot tell GCL "hey, here is an archive for you to
look in, in case I later load objects that need some symbols you cannot
find right now."

-- Gaby