gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: trouble with cl-launch

From: Faré
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: trouble with cl-launch
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 08:13:04 -0400

In trying to get GCL to work with cl-launch on debian (gcl 2.6.7-17
and gclcvs 2.7.0-54), I could get gcl 2.6.7 to run again with limited
features, after properly tweaking cl-launch. However, trying to load
the asdf package from debian (cl-asdf 1.99-3), I found the following
issues:

* I couldn't get gclcvs to work at all anymore. The package is broken
(severe c-l-c damage), and even on a remote machine were it was
installed before the damage, there seems to be serious trouble with
EVAL-WHEN, but I haven't investigated much further due to the
inability to install gclcvs on a local development machine.

* I admit I don't understand where development takes place and which
version is actively supported and whether the debian version is up to
date at all.

* (IN-PACKAGE #:ASDF) fails because GCL tries to evaluate variable
#:ASDF instead of taking it as a literal. i.e. in-package is a
function instead of a macro. I suspect this also means it isn't being
evaluated at compile-time either.

* when trying to use ASDF tweaked to work around the above problem, I
get the error
Error in MAKE-PATHNAME [or a callee]: MAKE-PATHNAME does not allow the
keyword :CASE.

* after these are resolved, I get
Error in FORMAT [or a callee]: Format error: ~; expected.

* The function PRINT-UNREADABLE-OBJECT is undefined.

* The function WITH-COMPILATION-UNIT is undefined.

Also,

* I realize that ~W isn't supported either.

* The function ENSURE-DIRECTORIES-EXIST is undefined.

* when I try to pass argument :PRINT NIL to compile-file, I get the
following erroneous error:
(COMPILER::COMPILE-FILE1 "test.lisp" :OUTPUT-FILE
          #p"/home/fare/test.o" :PRINT NIL :VERBOSE NIL)
Error in COMPILER::COMPILE-FILE1 [or a callee]:
COMPILER::COMPILE-FILE1 does not allow the keyword T.

* *compile-file-pathname* and *load-pathname* seem to be undefined.

I suppose these are all well-known issues already for a long time, and
maybe they are already solved in the latest gcl and it's just the
debian version lagging behind.

Can you tell me a bit about the status of these issues and the debian packages?

First, they said Java was good for app-lets; then they recoiled, and said
it was good for serv-lets; actually, what it's good for is toy-lets.