gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: xg rebuilt

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: xg rebuilt
Date: 26 Jun 2006 15:45:30 -0400

Greetings!

Matt Kaufmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Howdy --
>
> >> Somewhere I think
> >> you guys have some old timings using both regular and Schelter mv --
> >> are these comparable to gcl today with autoproclamations off (or also
> >> hopefully on?)
>
> If I have such timings for a given GCL, I don't know where they are.  But for
> any given GCL, it's easy enough to come up with such timings.  What's harder
> for me is to compare two different GCLs.  I don't build GCL very often; I tend
> to use what's available.  If you care to build two CLtL1 GCLs that you'd like
> compared (2.6.7 vs. 2.7.0) with the same (or appropriately corresponding
> parameters), then I could build and run stock ACL2 3.0 (with Schelter mv) on
> top of each and also ordinary mv on top of each.
>
> Now I'll turn to today's results, which compare what I used to call #2 and #3
> on the HONS version of ACL2 3.0.  It looks like ACL2-generated declaiming is
> more efficient than what GCL generates, at least for these runs.
>
> With the usual ACL2-generated declaiming, from
> /projects/hvg/ACL2/v3-0-hons-jun25/acl2-proclaims.lisp, and with:
> (setq compiler::*compiler-auto-proclaim* nil si::*disable-recompile* t):
> /projects/hvg/ACL2/v3-0-hons-jun25/make-regression.log:
> 16925.205u 434.179s 4:55:01.49 98.0%  0+0k 0+0io 13pf+0w
>
> Turning off ACL2-generated declaiming, but with default values of
> compiler::*compiler-auto-proclaim* (t) and
> si::*disable-recompile* (nil):
> /projects/hvg/ACL2/v3-0-hons-gcl-proclaim/make-regression.log:
> 17808.712u 560.627s 5:09:51.50 98.8%  0+0k 0+0io 0pf+0w

Thank you so much for this!  This confirms my basic suspicions -- that
we might be off 5 to 10% or so on the proclamations, but that the bulk
of the issue lies elsewhere.  I don't suppose you have gc time broken
out.

Next step for me is to compile a gprof image at some point and run
under that.

> Perhaps the difference is due to image sizes (about a factor of 4):
>
> sundance:~> ls -l /projects/hvg/ACL2/v3-0-hons-jun25/saved_acl2.gcl
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 kaufmann hvg 204745243 Jun 25 09:23
> /projects/hvg/ACL2/v3-0-hons-jun25/saved_acl2.gcl
> sundance:~> ls -l /projects/hvg/ACL2/v3-0-hons-gcl-proclaim/saved_acl2.gcl
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 kaufmann hvg 208157211 Jun 25 15:03
> /projects/hvg/ACL2/v3-0-hons-gcl-proclaim/saved_acl2.gcl
> sundance:~> ls -l /projects/acl2/v3-0-linux/gcl-saved_acl2.gcl
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 kaufmann acl2 50606495 May 29 01:41
> /projects/acl2/v3-0-linux/gcl-saved_acl2.gcl
> sundance:~>

I thought the image size was down to about 80Mb or so?  This is also
illustative in that keeping the function source around is on the order
of 2% in size.

I take it swap is not an issue (as indicated in your 0+0io above)  I
can't see why size per se would slow things down -- in general more
space speeds things up.

Take care,