gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Recompilation of GCL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Recompilation of GCL
Date: 16 Jun 2006 18:35:51 -0400

Greetings!

"Mike Thomas" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Camm.
>
> I just got around to trying your new recompilation facility.

Great!  Please be advised it is currently a moving target.

> Could you please comment on the recompilation spawned during the build
> of GCL as logged in the attached file.
>
> The recompilation occurs during initialisation and required me to
> rearrange the init*_gcl.lsp.in files so that compiler::*cc* was set up
> in time for the initialisation stage.
>
> This does not seem right.

You log looks good up to the assembler warnings.  The idea, as I'm
sure you know, is that GCL can compile faster code if it knows the
arguments and types on function entry and return.  Different images
can compile different functions in different files during different
sessions, then to be loaded into the same image -- hence the only time
conflicts can be resolved is at load time, including here in GCL
initialization.  At some point we will predump the signature hash
table to avoid the time consuming recompiles, but right now it serves
as a critical cross check.

Please let me know if any of this is causing problems.  YOu should be
able to restore the previous behavior with:

(setq compiler::*compiler-auto-proclaim* nil si::*disable-recompile*
t)

Take care,