gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] heap sighz

From: dagreve
Subject: [Gcl-devel] heap sighz
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:40:48 -0500

  I am struggling to optimize (maximize) memory usage for
ACL2 on GCL.  We have a large collection of ACL2 books
and loading those books is causing one of two errors:
either "cannot allocate cons cell" or "Caught fatal error",
depending on the phase of the moon and other conditions.

  I have rebuilt GCL 2.6.7 (and subsequently ACL2) with a
variety  of maxpages values, from 2^32 down to 2^21.  My GCL
build fails for values from 2^32 down to 2^22.  ACL2 then
eventually fails (with the above error message) at 2^21.

  Needless to say I am quite frustrated.

  Of course I don't understand why I should have to specify a
maxpage size in the first place (I have 4G of memory on my
machine (plus swap) .. I expect GCL to use it) .. but perhaps
that is not helpful.

  What would help might be some advice on how to make sure
I am using all of the hardware resources available to me.

  Any suggestions?

Dave