gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: xgcl incorporation

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: xgcl incorporation
Date: 13 Jun 2006 13:02:38 -0400

Greetings!

My suggestion is to request that your administrators setup a dchroot
subsystem tracking Debian unstable, and then give you and a few others
sudo priveleges to install packages from this distribution in this
subsystem.

It sounds complicated, but is really quite simple.  All one needs is a
few gig of free diskspace somewhere, and at least initial root
privileges to setup it up.  Then, on the same computer running a
stable distribution, an authorized user can execute "dchroot -c
unstable /usr/bin/emacs" and one can have an emacs on the same box
running the latest distributed software.  In same, one can 'apt-get
install acl2-books' or whatever without affecting the surrounding
stable system.  In another window, another emacs could simultanously
be running under the stable distribution.

My understanding is that you guys run ubuntu, which is built atop
Debian, so you should be able to pull Debian packages freely.  Please
let me know if this sounds like a possibility, and I'll provide the
details.  Otherwise there are two options:  1) installing compatible
libc, etc., and setting up LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_PRELOAD to execute
code, which is downloaded and installed one at a time as you have
done, or 2) have me or someone else build the packages under an older
libc in a stable distribution, in which case there are fewer but still
some manual downloads and unpacks one must do.

Take care,