gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: woe unto me: multiple value

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: woe unto me: multiple value
Date: 22 Apr 2006 00:20:51 -0400

Greetings!

Robert Boyer <address@hidden> writes:

> > What about adding the warning for (values x x) to apply
> > to values-list too?
>
> Sorry, I don't get that question yet.
>

>(proclaim '(ftype (function (t) t) foo))(defun foo (x) (values x x))(compile
>'foo)

NIL

FOO

;; Compiling /tmp/gazonk_31762_0.lsp.
;; End of Pass 1.
; (DEFUN FOO) is being compiled.
;; Warning: Trying to return multiple values.
;But FOO was proclaimed to have single value.
;Only first one will assured.
;; End of Pass 2.
;; OPTIMIZE levels: Safety=0 (No runtime error checking), Space=0, Speed=3,
(Debug quality ignored)
;; Finished compiling /tmp/gazonk_31762_0.o.
start address -T 0x884a478 Finished loading /tmp/gazonk_31762_0.o
#<compiled-function FOO>
NIL
NIL

Basically, it appears that GCL's traditional approach is to believe
the proclamation and warn like above in case of conflict.  We could do
similarly for values-list.  As your other posts indicate, this may not
ultimately be permissible.  It certainly does appear, though, that
this situation represents an inconsistency in the evolution of lisp
which the committe may have tried to resolve after the fact by
effectively dumping the contenct of proclaim ftype.

Take care,