gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Axiom uses unmodified GCL on Debian?

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Axiom uses unmodified GCL on Debian?
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 20:49:48 -0500

Greetings!

root <address@hidden> writes:

> > > also, how do we handle the fact that users can build gcl
> > > using the -ansi switch. that means that their local copy
> > > of gcl cannot be used by axiom (yet).
> > >

> > The Debian prerequiste for Axiom is the non-ansi version of
> > gcl. If the non-ansi version is not installed on the system
> > then 'apt-get install axiom' will also install it.
>
> true but not everyone uses debian.
> how do we solve the redhat9 issue?

#:ansi-cl(error "Axiom does not yet use the ansi gcl build.")

??

The Debian package ships four gcl images, ansi and traditional,
profiling and non-profiling.  These are toggled by the GCL_ANSI and
GCL_PROF environment variables in force when invoking gcl. I hesitated
to make this the default for gcl users building by hand as it greatly
increases the build time and complexity.

When axiom does use ansi, at least on Debian, we just do GCL_ANSI=t
before the build.  Currently maxima does this, while acl2 still uses
the traditional build like axiom.  It is my hope that having both
options readily available will help projects with long histories like
axiom.

Take care,