gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: ParGCL/MPI ready to be put into GCL

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: ParGCL/MPI ready to be put into GCL
Date: 18 Oct 2005 21:54:05 -0400

Gene Cooperman <address@hidden> writes:

> You also wrote:
>
> >  My personal preference is for autoloadable modules
> > (see gcl_collectfn.o pulled in by (compiler::emit-fn t), but we will
> > need to do a little work to get the shared libs to come in at the
> > right time too in this case.
>
> If you have an example of an autoloadable module that pulls in a
> library, I'd be happy to look at it.  However, my current code is assuming
> that the libraries are static (.a).  So, probably the libraries are not
> shared in the sense you mean.  In that case, it may be simpler to statically
> link to the MPI libraries only if the user configured for mpi.
> (So, if --enable-mpi has default "no", MPI libraries are not linked in
> by default.)                                                  - Gene

Greetings!  Agreed that it should work this way for now.  We don't yet
have the facility to load a module, have that dlopen a shared lib, and
preserve the link across image saves, though one contributor's work
(gcl elf-loader) may facilitate this.  This has moved somewhat down my
priority list for the moment, o I think we should go with what you
outline above for now.  Though you need'nt insist on static linking --
-lmpi setup in configure will create a dynamic deendency that should
work just fine.

Have you given any thought to MOSIX?  Might make parallelizing lisp
applications, at least at the coarse grained level much easier.  If
memory serves they recommend predistribution of the processes via mpi.

Take care,