gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: 2.7.0 looking good

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: 2.7.0 looking good
Date: 17 Oct 2005 22:28:07 -0400

Greetings!

Robert Boyer <address@hidden> writes:

> I've run the newest 2.7.0 ANSI on ACL2 2.9.3 on "certify books" and got:
>
>   real        61m33.062s
>   user        58m10.680s
>   sys 1m26.220s
>
> Thanks so much.
>
> With readtable-case and equalp hash tables knocked out so quickly by you, it
> almost feels like it might be downhill to pure ANSI from here (for you).  The

Well, we're now under 5% failures on the tester, and very many of
these stem from a single cause.  Don't know about downhill, but there
is progress for which I am grateful.

> biggest quagmires I see ahead are FORMAT (and backquote's finest details).  I
> wonder if it could be best simply to steal those from Clisp, CMU Lisp, ABCL,
> or SBCL if they are done there in Lisp.

Always looking for the right balance here.  Fixsing the GCL code has
the following benefits 1) At least one developer becomes familiar with
it andcan fix it in the future 2) the older stuff usually has all the
hard stuff needed for performance already coded, 3) having a diversity
of code is beneficial in comparing the lisps for their mutual
improvement, 4) don't have to isolate unfamiliar code and parse the
hooks surrounding it vs. 1) likely already bug free and widely
tested.

We've done a mixture thus far, pcl, conditions, destructuring bind,
ansi loop are all inhaled, but for smaller components I've tried to
salvage the existing code.  I'd hate to lose format.c given the
obvious amout of work that has gone into it.

BTW, the author of femlisp, a finite element package in lisp, is
trying to port to GCL, and needs define-symbol-macro.  I cannot see
how this can be done without going into the guts of eval, which I have
managed to avoid thus far.  Am I overlooking something hoefully much
more simple?

Take care,