gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: FW: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedor

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: FW: [Axiom-developer] Important! Cannot Install on Fedora
Date: 12 Oct 2005 19:28:17 -0400

Greetings!

"Page, Bill" <address@hidden> writes:

> Camm,

> > OK, this should no longer be necessary in 2.6.8pre -- if it is
> > please let me know and please post the configure output.
>
> Yes, that is what Renaud and I would like to achieve in a patch
> to the Axiom September release CVS makefile. I believe this will
> work as you stated.
>

> > The linking issue stems from directoryp not being defined.
> > This is one of axiom's C functions in cfuns-c.c.  This module
> > must be loaded in the raw_image before trying to load cfuns.o
> > (from cfuns.lisp) into the saved_image.  Traditionally, axiom
> > did this by modifying the EXTRAS line in GCL's unixport/makefile
> > so that the object was linked in at the right time.
>
> Yes, I see that now. Thanks. I think we can now complete the
> modification of the existing Axiom makefiles to gcl-2.6.8pre
> (see another recent email from me).
>
> > I do this for Debian as I suggested in my earlier post here on
> > the topic, using compiler::link.
>
> In my opinion the time has come to stop maintaining two different
> ways to build Axiom. I also think it is a mistake for Axiom to
> distribute gcl sources as a tarball as part of the Axiom build.
> Instead we treat gcl just as a dependency of Axiom and we should
> use the same approach that you designed for Debian on all other
> platforms (including Windows).
>
> Tim, as the primary axiom developer, would you agree to this?

I think this will work, but defer of course to Tim's best judgment.

> If we can agree, what is the easiest way to update the Axiom
> source distribution to the new approach? Can I just access
> the Debian source distribution for Axiom and try it on another
> linux? How difficult is it to automatically check for dependencies
> on non-Debian systems?

Ideally we'd have a configure script.  In fact, I think I volunteered
to write one :-).  Am a bit tight on time at the moment though.

> I don't know much about Debian, but I understand that there is
> some utility for accessing Debian products on "alien" linuxes.
> Has anyone tried using this approach to install Axiom on other
> platforms?

The alien program can convert the .deb to a .rpm, which should save
everyone a lot of work I'd think.  One can even unpack a tarball from
the deb -- details on request.

Take care,