gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Yes!

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Yes!
Date: 07 Oct 2005 10:53:24 -0400

Greetings!

Just a recap of the frenzied notes last night -- I've committed code
to avoid the problematic functions when linking statically, so ACL2
should work out of the box.

It is quite irritating that libc.a provides functions which open
shared libs on invocation (!).  We may have solved the problem for
now, but what if some future libc version decides to launch libm when
calling exp()?  Perhaps someone knows of a non-ad-hoc reason why these
and only these (password, network) functions must be handled this
way.

user-homedir-pathname will now default to "~/" if the password file
lookup functions cannot be run, which should be OK on linux et.al. at
least.  Hostname lookups will fail gracefully, ~ expansion in
filenames won't happen, and file-author will fail, until we figure out
a better way.

Suggestions and advice most appreciated.

Take care,