gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: clisp (was Re: a bug in read?)

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: clisp (was Re: a bug in read?)
Date: 29 Aug 2005 15:58:25 -0400

Greetings, and thanks for the pointer!

Robert Boyer <address@hidden> writes:

> I suspect that you're well aware of this, but just in case you are not, clisp
> (also GPLed) comes with a "tests" subdirectory that finds some bugs in Common
> Lisp implementations.  Not that I believe everything reported as a problem by
> that test suite is actually a problem.  But since cycles are so cheap, it
> might be a good idea to add that whole test suite to GCL's.  Or maybe it's
> already a part of Dietz's.  As I say, I suspect you are well aware of this,
> but just in case.

I was not aware of this.  I had forwarded the second issue to Paul for
comment, and he replied:

"Paul F. Dietz" <address@hidden> writes:

> I think gcl is getting this right.
>
> ,@,@ would mean that the value returned by the innermost
> ,@ is being used in a position where its value is being
> used directly rather than being spliced into a list.
> That's undefined.
>
>       Paul

clisp itself does not 'pass' this test.  This makes me a bit wary of
the validity of the tests.  I would be most comfortable if we could
eventually integrate the valid tests in this tree which are not
already covered by Paul's tests into his suite, if this is not already
being effectively done by Paul in his suite development process.

> Bob
>
> Here are two GCL errors that arise from the clisp test suite:
>
> 1.  In GCL, this causes an error:
>
>   (defgeneric fap (x) (:method ((x stream))))
>
>   (fap *standard-output*)

Thanks for this!  Have made some changes to the built-in-class table
which will, I believe clear this up.  Hope to commit this evening.

Take care,