gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: boxing in multiple values

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: boxing in multiple values
Date: 16 Jul 2005 09:37:14 -0400

Greetings!  Please Matt accept my apologis -- I know you have a number
of notes in to which I've not yet replied -- rest assured they are in
the queue, and once t4 gets out I hope to address them more fully.

Bob is right about multiple values in general -- as we rely on C, we
can only push c objects onto the C stack.  This isn't such an
obstacle, as one can define structures and return the structure body.
Perhaps the first word or char could describe the format of the
following words, i.e. boxed objects of otherwise.  But some fiddling
will be required at call and return time, so it will never be quite as
fast as a pure fixnum assignment.

GCL defines its own lisp stack for passing arguments in a slower
fashion -- these must be pure objects, as there is no way (that I can
think of) to reliably designate the format to any routines that will
use this stack, e.g. the debugger.  So once you need 'base',
'vs_base', or 'vs_top', you must box.

There are actually two levels of unboxing in GCL -- interfile and
intrafile.  Currently, only lisp objects and unboxed word-sized
fixnums can be passed interfile.  These plus characters, short and
long floats can be passed intrafile.  The former set can have at most
4 elements without a major overhaul of the C code -- I have a running
question as to what people might think useful to add to fixnums in
this regard.  Float seem the likely choice, but Bob rightly notes that
most people caring about floats don't use lisp :-(.

Bob is also right about the relative benefit of fixnum unboxing --
much of the overhead or a 'boxed' fixnum has been removed with the new
(much larger) immediate fixnum table.  It is still not as fast as
unboxed fixnum arithmetic and can never be, though I've tried to
narrow the gap as much as possible.  'Unboxing' immediate fixnums is
basically a subtraction, so at a minimum there is an extra
subtraction, addition, and possibly a branch to boxed immediate fixnum
arithmetic.  In addition, there may be function calls.  But the lion's
share of the overhead came from memory access, a fact which had
escaped me until recently, and this is now gone for the immediate
fixnum range.  This should also indicate that if we do ever pass
multiple values in a structure body, its likely to be a win even with
the fiddling at call and return time, as there is no extra memory
access to get to the data.  All thanks to Bob Boyer for enlightening
me on these key facts and suggesting the solution we're now using.

I'd like to finally mention that we have added some impprovements
which allow multiple value functions to be inlined.  gethash and floor
are examples you might find useful.  You can define you own inlining
in GCL, though I imagine the use you have in mind is too big for
inlining.

Finally regarding threads -- we have immediate plans for fork based
multi processing which should give good performance on problems of
moderate granularity given Linux's copy on write pages, and some stack
memory allocation tricks we can pull.  True threads will have to wait
a bit more.  I haven't done any exhaustive survey, but it appears that
any lisp thread implementation must invoke a whole lot of explicit
user locking calls etc. for globals -- perhaps this is not the burden
it appears to me.  set-mv is an explicit global variable pass from
what I can see, and to my limited understanding can therefore never be
made reentrant.  Perhaps there is some way to open up some extra MVloc
space in the stack space of each thread on thread launch or some
such.  It would appear that threads would be much more sane if one can
arrange to avoid globals and specials period and emulate same if
possible on the C stack per thread.

Take care,