gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] printing IEEE 754 special values (inf, nan)

From: Robert Dodier
Subject: [Gcl-devel] printing IEEE 754 special values (inf, nan)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:57:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I am using GCL 2.6.6 on linux. I find that GCL
apparently can compute IEEE 754 special values,
but then it complains when the number is to be printed
on the console.

E.g. (* 1e300 1e300) succeeds, so far as I can tell,
and yields IEEE 754 infinity. However, then there is
an error message about printing the result.

What needs to be modified in GCL in order to make
floating point inf and nan (not a number) printable?

Thanks for any insights.

Robert Dodier