gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Lisp] merging GCL into GCC

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Lisp] merging GCL into GCC
Date: 10 Jun 2005 11:56:06 -0400

Greetings!

[ I've tried to subscribe to the lispnyc group, but apparently have
failed.  Should I retry? ]

The beauty of this idea is that a simple yet completely servicable
integration can be had with very little effort by simply tacking on
the gcc C frontend to the end of GCL's compiler.  We can then
incrementally have the compiler emit gcc 'trees' directly in certain
circumstances.

What we gain here is more than optimization, I think.  We gain
mindshare and support resources for lisp going forward.  There was
quite a bit of interest in this project from regular gcc contributers
when I last suggested it -- it would be great to be able to lever some
of their outstanding expertise in the service of lisp.

I don't forsee any undue difficulties, apart from the complexity that
any such project would entail.  But really, its all just an I/O
filter :-).

I'll do it myself eventually if time permits, but ansi compliance
comes first.

Take care,