gcl-devel

RE: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Axiom-developer] building Axiom with GCL Ver sion_2

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Gcl-devel] RE: [Axiom-developer] building Axiom with GCL Ver sion_2_6_7pre fails
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:42:01 -0400

On Friday, May 27, 2005 10:06 AM Camm Maguire wrote:

> probe-file tests whether a file exists.
>
> probe-file returns false if there is no file named
> pathspec, and otherwise returns the truename of pathspec.
>
> A file here should be sopentheing that could be opened with
> (open...) -- we have no such ability currently for directories.
>
> Is this a problem to follow in mingw?

No it is not a problem. In fact that is exactly what GCL
Version_2_6_7pre on Windows does now.

> (probe-file "./") returns nil on Windows with the latest changes.

The problem is in the Axiom source for daase.lisp.pamphlet.

> In daase.lisp.pamphlet the "./" is hard wired:
>
>   (localdatabase nil
>      (list (list '|dir| (namestring (probe-file "./")) ))
>      'make-database)

Here Axiom is trying to find the name of the "current"
directory which it passes to |dir|. It should probably just
call (truename "./"). Or better, perhaps there should be a
standard lisp mechanism to do what Axiom's |dir| does.

The fact that this code used to work on Axiom is a bit
troubling since it makes one wonder where else in Axiom
(and maybe other packages like Maxima and ACL) probe-file
is used in this now obsolete manner?

Regards,
Bill Page.