gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Strangeness in memory

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Strangeness in memory
Date: 19 May 2005 18:09:11 -0400

Greetings!  When GC'ing relocatable pages, which uses a fast copying
algorithm, one needs to temporarily allocate about twice the current
relblock usage plus a new hole.  This winds up being about 300k pages
in your case, more thanthe 262k available.

One can do (si::gbc nil) here instead of (si::gbc t), the former of
which does a 'cons type gc (of the whole immovable heap), and the
latter of which gc'es the whole core, including the relocatable area.

We may be able to put in a toggle function which allocates hash in the
slower but less space-hungry contiguous pages, as is done for bignums
now in #"si::set-gmp-allocate-relocatable.

Take care,