gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: gcl-2.6.6, defmethod evaluates

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: gcl-2.6.6, defmethod evaluates
Date: 16 May 2005 10:14:41 -0400

Greetings!

"Adrienne Gaye Thompson" <address@hidden> writes:

> From: "Camm Maguire" <address@hidden>
>

> GCL supports both dialects of lisp, 'Common Lisp the Language 1'
> (e.g. CLtL1) and ANSI, the latter of which is a work in progress.  The
> --enable-ansi switch to the configure program at compilation time
> determines which flavor is built.  On Debian systems, both images are
> provided and are selectable at runtime by setting the GCL_ANSI
> environment variable.
>
> Perhaps you can let me know from where you retrieved your package,
>
> and we can coordinate with its maintainer.
> Please let us know if problems persist.

> I got my gcl-2.6.6 from http://www.gnu.org/software/gcl/ (linked from
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gcl).
>
> It was a tarball and not an rpm. The good news is that I rebuilt the package
> after setting the environment variable with
>

> # export GCL_ANSI=yes
>

> then using
>

> # ./configure --enable- ansi
>

> GCL was then able to evaluate defmethod and defclass.

Great to hear all is working for you!  Just to clarify, if you are
building your own GCL, you do not need any GCL_ANSI environment
variable, just the --enable-ansi switch to configure.  The former is
for Debian packages, which includes both ansi and cltl1 images, using
the environment variable to select which to execute at runtime.

Take care,