gcl-devel

RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 05:04:23 -0400

On Monday, May 02, 2005 9:48 PM From: Mike Thomas wrote:

> 2.6.7PRE
>
> I just checked that 2.6.7pre builds on Windows.  Will likewise
> test Maxima etc as the week progresses.

I also have successfully built -r Version_2_6_7_pre gcl on windows.

> What I need is some Lisp test code and simple instructions
> to check whatever network functionality you've added which
> you hope will work straight off under Windows.
>
> Please also tell me your time frame for getting 2.6.7 finalised
> and I'll try without promises to address GCL-TK within those limits.

I tried to build gcl-tk on windows from Version_2_6_7_pre by doing
the following:

1) Download and install TclTk (tcltk-8.4.1-1.exe) from
   http://www.mingw.org/download.shtml

   By default TclConfig.sh and friends end up in /mingw/lib

2) In gcl ./configure --enable-tclconfig=/mingw/lib

3) make

The make proceeds normally until I see:

if [ -d "" ] ; then \
        cd gcl-tk && make ; \
else \
        echo "gcl-tk not made..missing include or lib" ; \
fi
gcl-tk not made..missing include or lib

--------

The Makefile stanza is:

do-gcl-tk:
        if [ -d "$(TK_CONFIG_PREFIX)" ] ; then \
                cd gcl-tk && $(MAKE) ; \
        else \
                echo "gcl-tk not made..missing include or lib" ; \
        fi

---------

Doing make -d TK_CONFIG_PREFIX=/mingw/lib doesn't get me much
further.

So it seems that although ./configure finds TclConfig.sh and
the necessary variables, for some reason TK_CONFIG_PREFIX is
not set. Is this a problem with configure?

Mike, can you give me some hints on how you actually build
gcl-tk on Windows? What am I doing wrong? Earlier I had also
downloaded and build tcl 8.3.4 on MSYS but I got the same
results when building GCL. Now tcl 8.4 seems to be the preferred
version on Windows.

In the mean time, I will do some experiments with Camm's
GCL web server code on Windows.

Regards,
Bill Page.