gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom porting

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Axiom-developer] axiom porting
Date: 29 Apr 2005 11:15:21 -0400

Greetings!

address@hidden writes:

> I'm a bit overwhelmed by the volume of suggestions.
>
> The browser idea has promise except that I don't see how to handle
> the graphics. I also don't see how to "command" a browser
> through a socket to do things like open a new tab.

Just a suggestion here -- use the browser for hyperdoc, and something
else (like gnuplot) for graphics.

> But it does give us the advantage of an already portable front
> end. The dynamic content doesn't seem to be much of an issue.
> There is an asq command that can compute answers to database queries.
> And if Axiom could handle server requests it would be easy to
> serve up algebra (might even be a reason to send Bill to China).

Remote access should be straightforward if you can get around your
local firewall.  Is this useful?

> I've been clinging to reproducing the prior work as it gives me a
> fixed target to achieve. Otherwise it becomes an open-ended design
> problem and it will never be finished. Perhaps this is misguided.
>
> I actually have no idea what gtk is despite the fact that my son was
> involved in developing it. And I'm not sure what glade is.

gtk+ it the core C grapics toolkit use by the desktop you are using at
the present moment, virtually every application on it.  (You use
redhat/gnome, if memory serves).  The comparable alternate is kde
which is analogously built atop the qt library.  The Linux world is
roughly evenly divided between the two, by my estimation.

glade is a program whereby you can create any gui without writing a
line of code, but rather by selecting and placing widgets with a mouse
alone.  A *massive* productivity saver, IMHO.

> I did try to "rewrite the xlib calls to MS equivalents" but the model
> for graphics is wildly different. I suppose this is why no one has
> taken this path.
>
> I did get the run-process patch you sent but have not yet applied it.
> I'm still working on merging the BSD patches which have been hanging-fire
> behind the axiom conference work. Hopefully I'll complete that tonight.
>
> Then I need to look at the GUESS domain and see what it will take to
> merge that.
>
> THEN I'll look at the G/B (graphics/browser) issue. Since I'm not
> actively coding this is a good time to debate the issue.

OK, thanks as always for your work!

Take care,