gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: Call for help with MACOSX Re: [Axiom-developer] [MACOSX]

From: Aurelien Chanudet
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: Call for help with MACOSX Re: [Axiom-developer] [MACOSX] What is unexec and why does it fail ?
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:42:34 +0100 (CET)

Hi Camm and all,

Sorry for seeming unreachable ! Having no access to
the Internet at home for the time being, I find it
quite difficult to contribute efficiently to gcl. All
I was able to do recently was spend one full week
feedling with gdb, tracing the route of segfaults from
the kernel all the way to the debugger, trying to sort
out why gdb doesn't handle segfault on MacOSX the way
it does on Linux.

Some remarks concerning Pierre's output :

- There's a README.macosx file enrolled in the CVS
repository
(http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/gcl/gcl/README.macosx).
Camm, could you please change the CVS option for this
file so as to make it appear in CVS head ? If you want
to learn more about unexec, try looking for Andrew
Choi's work for Emacs.

- The error you're running into ("not enough room for
load commands for new __DATA segments") is due to your
configure options. As a general rule, I highly
recommend using --enable-locbfd and --disable-dlopen.
I don't even know if the dlopen option is available on
MacOSX.

--- Camm Maguire <address@hidden> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> This is an official call for help from someone
> familiar with the Mac
> and in particular with its mach-o binary file
> format.  We have an in
> general very high quality custom port of the gcl
> object relocation and
> image writing code to this platform graciously
> contributed by
> Aurelien, but it appears that he is no longer
> reachable, and there are
> large image issues with his code in acl2 as well.  I
> have access to a
> Mac account and can ascend the learning curve here
> if necessary -- it
> would simply be much more efficient if someone with
> the requisite
> knowledge already in hand would step forward.
>
> Take care,
>
> Pierre Doucy <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Attempting to compile Axiom on my Mac, I get the
> following error :
> >
> > [...]
> > 44 invoking make in

/Users/pdoucy/Documents/Travail/Axiom/axiom--MACOSX--1--patch-1/src/boot
> > with parms:
> > SYS= MACOSX
> > LSP=

/Users/pdoucy/Documents/Travail/Axiom/axiom--MACOSX--1--patch-1/lsp
> > PART= cprogs
> > SPAD=

/Users/pdoucy/Documents/Travail/Axiom/axiom--MACOSX--1--patch-1/mnt/MACOSX
> > SRC=

/Users/pdoucy/Documents/Travail/Axiom/axiom--MACOSX--1--patch-1/src
> > INT=

/Users/pdoucy/Documents/Travail/Axiom/axiom--MACOSX--1--patch-1/int
> > OBJ=

/Users/pdoucy/Documents/Travail/Axiom/axiom--MACOSX--1--patch-1/obj
> > MNT=

/Users/pdoucy/Documents/Travail/Axiom/axiom--MACOSX--1--patch-1/mnt
> > unexec: not enough room for load commands for new
> __DATA segments
> > make[3]: ***

[/Users/pdoucy/Documents/Travail/Axiom/axiom--MACOSX--1--patch-1/obj/MACOSX/bin/bootsys]