gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Using LISP objects within C++ programs

From: Ben Goertzel
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Using LISP objects within C++ programs
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:00:45 -0500

Hi,

I have a practical question, which hopefully someone on this list can
answer...

I haven't done any LISP programming for many years, but I'm considering
getting back into it.

I'm working on a large C++ AI software system, which is typically compiled
under gcc on various Linux flavors.

My question is: Is it possible to write LISP functions and then invoke them
within my C++ code?

It seems to me this should be possible *in principle*, since GCL compiles to
C; but, I'm not sure if there are pragmatic considerations that imply this
is not a reasonable thing to do...

If it is possible, could someone point me to some examples where it's been
done?

Basically, I would prefer to write my whole application in LISP, but I
really need multithreading which according to my understanding does not
exist in GCL (though it does appear to exist in Allegro CL)

Thanks,
Ben Goertzel