gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] someone has todo something about spam !

From: Mario Mommer
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] someone has todo something about spam !
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 09:41:51 +0100

"Steven H. Rogers" <address@hidden> writes:
> I wouldn't mind it being moderated, though that tends to slow things
> down a bit.  Bayesian spam filters seem to work about the best.
>
> See
> http://paulgraham.com/antispam.html
> and
> http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/

Bayesian spam filters are nice, but I doubt that the list admins have
access to the server at a level that allows them to install these
kinds of goodies.

If the choice is to keep the list open, then I would sugest to contact
the folks at gnu.org. The functionality offered by Milaman to combat
spam on an open list is not really up to the task if there is no
additional filtering (and in my opinion there is no fault in
that. Mailman is not an antispam tool).

The other option is to make the list subscribers only. This reduces
spam and does not slow down things so much.

Regards,
        Mario.