gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Case-sensitivity goals, policy and implementati

From: James Amundson
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] Case-sensitivity goals, policy and implementation
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:11:04 -0500

On Wed, 2004-10-13 at 16:18, Camm Maguire wrote:

> > -- Does GCL implement readtable-case?  If so, I guess it is not in the
> > default package.  Is there some other way of remapping characters?
> >

> We don't yet have readtable-case.  Its on the ansi todo list.  If
> anyone can make a cogent argument to place it near the top in terms of
> priority, I'm open to suggestions.  In general, a priority ranked list
> of ansi items would be very helpful.

If all goes well, readtable-case will suddenly become our number one
priority. There is some readtable mechanism available in GCL already,
isn't there?

|abacus3>gcl
GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.5 ANSI    Aug 19 2004 12:36:59
Source License: LGPL(gcl,gmp), GPL(unexec,bfd)
Binary License:  GPL due to GPL'ed components: (READLINE BFD UNEXEC)
Modifications of this banner must retain notice of a compatible license
Dedicated to the memory of W. Schelter

Use (help) to get some basic information on how to use GCL.

>(apropos 'readtable)
SYSTEM:*BREAK-READTABLE*  has value: NIL
SYSTEM::*LINE-INFO-READTABLE*  has value: #<readtable 086d2ea0>
*READTABLE*  has value: #<readtable 08470f78>
SYSTEM::*STANDARD-READTABLE*  has value: #<readtable 08470f78>
COPY-READTABLE  Function
READTABLE
READTABLE-CASE
READTABLEP  Function
SYSTEM:STANDARD-READTABLE  Function

>*readtable*

#<readtable 08470f78>

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to modify a readtable with
the functions that exist in GCL.

If we have to use some non-ANSI, GCL-specific readtable commands for the
time being, that's no big deal. If we have to wait a little while to get
a GCL with a readtable-case, we can live with that, too. If, however,
there is no way to work around readtable-case in GCL and you think it
would take six months to get a working implementation, now would be the
time to find out.

--Jim