gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL 2.6.5 build failure on Fedora Core 2

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Re: GCL 2.6.5 build failure on Fedora Core 2
Date: 28 Sep 2004 10:44:38 -0400

Greetings, and my apologies for a delayed reply.

Rex Dieter <address@hidden> writes:

> Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Camm Maguire wrote:
> >
> >> The GCL team is happy to announce the release of version 2.6.5, the
> >> latest achievement in the 'stable' series.
> > I'm having trouble building gcl-2.6.5 on Fedora Core 2 with the
> > '--enable-ansi' option.  Without it, the build procedes to
> > completion fine, but with it, dies in:
>
> Odd thing... downgrading from kernel-2.6.8-1.521 to
> kernel-2.6.7-1.494.2 (which was my only detectable change since the
> last time gcl built ok for me) made the gcl-2.6.4 and gcl-2.6.5 builds
> work again.

I was going to suggest the kernel as the special kernel-based security
features are the only relevant difference on Fedora.  We used to
segfault perforce at the raw_pre_gcl-> saved_pre_gcl stage when
execstack was enabled.  Executable stacks are not a problem, but
rather the 'randomized brk' that the patch lumps in for 'security'
reasons.  Since some mid 2.6.x, we've built into the configure process
an automatic detection of randomized brk, and compile in the '386
personality' setting into main.  This has resolved all known Fedora
issues, up to this point at least.

So in sum, perhaps you could investigate how your kernels might differ
in these matters.  The location of your crash indicates a different
cause, but likely related to memory segment permissions set by the
kernel.

Take care,