gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Various questions about GCL

From: Goffioul Michael
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Various questions about GCL
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 15:36:53 +0200

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating GCL for use in our internal project. It has some nice features for our
purpose but there are some issues and questions I'd like to ask. I put everything in one mail.
I'd be pleased to get some feedback/comments on these.

1) Would it be possible to make GCL embedded into a C library (preferably shared) such that
a 3rd party application could make use of GCL as an embedded computation engine? This
would mean to have an API to initialize/terminate the GCL engine, to convert between C types
and LISP objects, to "eval()" or "funcall()" arbitrary code. Our final target is actually to embed
a LISP engine into a MEX file such that our framework written in LISP can be accessed from
the MATLAB user interface.

2) Is there any FFI framework?

3) (make-hash-table :test #'equalp) is not supported

4) Code like the following does not compile:
(unless (find-package "MYPKG")
  (defpackage "MYPKG" (:use "COMMON-LISP")))
(in-package "MYPKG")
(export 'f1)
(defun f1 (x) (* x x))

It complains at "in-package" statement. If I enclose the first 2 top-level forms (unless, in-package)
into an "(eval-when (compile load eval) ...)" form, it compiles but doesn't load (after restarting GCL),
still complaining at "in-package" statement.
(Note: I'm using anonymous CVS version under Linux)

5) Would GCL compile/work under Win32/MSVC6?

Thanks.

Michael.