gcl-devel

[Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] GCL 2.6.5 is released

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: [Gcl-devel] Re: [Maxima] GCL 2.6.5 is released
Date: 19 Aug 2004 17:18:10 -0400

Greetings, and thanks for your feedback!

Milan Lukic <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Camm,
>
> I just wanted to let you know that I installed gcl-2.6.5 on a
> Slackware 9.0 Linux. Here are the options used to run configure:
>
> /configure --prefix=/home/milan/CAS/
> --infodir=$PREFIX/gcl-2.6.5/info/ --mandir=$PREFIX/gcl-2.6.5/man/
> --enable-notify=no --enable-emacsdir=/usr/share/emacs/21.2/ --with-x
> --enable-readline --enable-ansi
>     The reason for --enable-notify=no is that I am on a phone line,
>               i.e. did the installation off-line
>

> Problems:
>    The "help" command is not working - it is looking for
>        "/home/milan/CAS/maxima-5.9.0.9beta2/src/gcl.info."
>        With gcl-2.6.4, it is looking for
>        "/home/milan/CAS/maxima-5.9.0.9beta2/gcl.info."
>           In other words, gcl seem to be compiled to look for the
>                       gcl.info file in the current working directory.

Please note that you can set si::*info-paths* to contain the correct
directory containing gcl.info.  I believe Vadim has posted separately
about this on the maxima list.

>       The Xgcl seem to be working fine. However, the make command (I
>       suppose) creates (in the $GCLDIR) a broken symbolic link
>       /unixport/init_xgcl.lsp.tmp, because there is no file
>       init_gcl.lsp.tmp

Yes, this just needs adding to the .INTERMEDIATE target in the
unixport/makefile.   we intend to clean all this up in 2.7.x.

> I just also tried to compile Maxima with gcl-2.6.5, following the
> instructions in INSTALL.lisp. It seems to fail to create a file
> maxima in src/binary-gcl. Is that the image that was supposed to be
> dumped, as mentioned  in the last step in INSTALL.lisp?
> However, in that last step, executing (user::run) produced  a
> working maxima session, while (maxima-dump) returned NIL. Also, I
> had to exit, and restart gcl after (maxima-compile). In other words,
> the Step 7 in the INSTALL.lisp does not seem to be optional.

Not sure about INSTALL.lisp -- what is wrong with the makefiles?  Is
maxima working on an alternate installation method?  These questions
are best referred to the maxima experts.

Please keep us posted if you find bugs that need fixing in GCL.

Take care,