gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] Building gcl on solaris

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] Building gcl on solaris
Date: 19 Aug 2004 11:54:50 -0400

Greetings!  Nice to hear from another solaris user.

Raymond Toy <address@hidden> writes:

> I tried building gcl (cvs) on solaris for the first time in a long
> time. It didn't go so well.  There are a couple of issues.
>
> The first is that configure's use of awk uses things that don't exist
> in the basic awk on Solaris.  You need to use nawk (or maybe gawk).  I
> think configure checks for this, but doesn't do the right thing to
> select nawk and use it.  I worked around this by defining the envvar
> AWK=nawk.
>
> Second, configure uses grep with the -q option, which isn't
> supported. I manually replaced grep -q with /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -q.
> Perhaps configure should check to see if /usr/xpg4/bin/grep exists and
> use that.
>

> With these changes, I can at least configure on solaris and get make
> to start building gcl.  The build eventually fails because it couldn't
> figure out where libbfd really is and uses /usr/lib/libbfd.a.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Shouldn't this work?

This works in the sense that the only solaris machine to which I have
access, which has gnu awk and grep in the path, is used successfully
as the base for ACL2 at a large university.  gcc is the default
compiler there, but solaris ld is the default linker.  At this site,
there is also a libbfd in a non-standard place, but it always appears
to be out of sync with the bfd headers, so I use --disable-statsysbfd
--enable-locbfd to build a local copy.  You can also use
--disable-statsysbfd --enable-custreloc on sparc and i386.

In general, I'd like to make this smoother.  What do you feel is a
reasonable set of gcl build dependencies on solaris?  I'm assuming for
example that having gcc on solaris is not a problem.

Take care,