gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2 errata

From: Michael Koehne
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] 2.6.2 errata
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 18:54:21 +0200

Moin Camm Maguire,

> Right now I'm inclined to just place this in debian/rules as a diff
> against the upstream 2.6.2.  Does anyone use arm with any other OS?

  its something, that should go on the website - but its not a bug
  that breaks compiling itself - only building by the debian robots.
  Think ARM users, who compile their own GCL, are so seldom, that
  they'll find their way to this mailinglist, to receive the clue
  to call autoconf on their own.

> Going this route, we'd post an errata note to the website.  Problem is
> I'm not sure anyone looks at it.
> Alternatively, we could post another source tarball, but this seems
> rather unpleasant.

  lets collect those in debian patches first, to make the build robot
  happy - and perhaps release a 2.6.3 in a few month including backports
  of the most important bugfixes from 2.7.0, Debian and other places.

> Thoughts?

  for 2.7.0, GCL has the luck, that makefile is not generated by makefile.in.

  delete ./configure from CVS and improve `make configure` :

cvsclean : clean
        find . ! -type d | xargs chmod u=rw,og=r
        find . -type d | xargs chmod u=rwx,og=rx
        find . -type d | sort > MANINEW
        diff MANICVS MANINEW
        rm MANINEW

  The CVS containes a lot of executeable files, because of M$Windows upload.
  The `diff` will generate an error every time CVS MANIFEST has changed.
  This is a savetybelt, to give some time to add an entry to Changelog and
  mv MANINEW MANICVS, if you are really sure. If first requires some
  cleanup, to delete those files that dont belong into CVS, of course.

clean: gclclean
        -(cd ./gmp3 && $(MAKE) distclean)
        rm -rf ./gmp3/.deps ./gmp3/libgmp.a
        -(cd binutils/bfd && $(MAKE) distclean)
        -(cd binutils/libiberty && $(MAKE) distclean)

  the current clean is using $(GMPDIR) resulting a `make distclean`
  in my $HOME !

configure: configure.in cvsclean
        autoconf
        chmod a+rx configure
        ( cd ./binutils/; autoconf )
        ( cd ./gmp3/; autoconf )
        find . -type d | sort > MANIFEST
        diff MANIFEST MANINEW
        rm MANINEW

  configure should call autoconf without arguments and descend into
  subdirectories. The MANIFEST is the normal MANIFEST containing
  some files in addition.

tar: configure
        rm -f gcl-`cat majvers`.`cat minvers`
        find MANIFEST | cpio -pdumv gcl-`cat majvers`.`cat minvers`-beta-`date
+%y%j`
        (cd ..; tar cvfz gcl-`cat majvers`.`cat minvers`-beta-`date +%y%j`.tgz
gcl-`cat majvers`.`cat minvers`-beta-`date +%y%j`)
        rm -rf gcl-`cat majvers`.`cat minvers`-beta-`date +%y%j`

  the tar is dependend on configure, as normal users dont have autoconf,
  the side effect of maintaining a MANIFEST, is that one could remove
  xbin/distribute both from CVS and from MANIFEST.

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:address@hidden             UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:2.4.22'UNZ+1'
  http://www.xml-edifact.org/           CETERUM CENSEO WINDOWS ESSE DELENDAM